05 April 2009

A Galaxy of Space Empires

Turn based strategy games have been around as long as computers have existed! There have been some great ones and some not so great. Although Imperium Galactica II wasnt a turn based game, it held my interest for years.
Way back in the early days (1995) I found Stars! Rather well known as a turn based strategy game, I played it off and on for nearly ten years! During that time I came across Space Empires III and played the shareware version for many years, until I bought the full version of Space Empires IV in 2006, and I"m still playing it now!
Although a later version was released in about 2005 (Space Empires 5), it didn"t have the success of the earlier version, being released too quickly without sorting a few problems. It"s layout was rather cluttered, and although many mods have been made for it, there seems to be a constant battle with bugs within the game.
Hence I have not only stayed with Space Empires IV, but I have even created a mod for it called Skywalker. Since releasing that 8 weeks ago (in early February 2009), 500 copies of it have been downloaded off the net! Whilst its not perfect, obviously its popular. I continue to improve it, adjust factors that need adjusting and plan to add more features.

Meantime, I am helping another creator, with his massive mod which also is for Space Empires IV. Suffice it to say, this turn based strategy game which is ten years old now, is getting a new lease of live and has a huge following of diehard fans, as well as new ones!
More shortly!

Alikiwi, System Lord of House Hermes



Count


No comments:

Post a Comment